Over the past several months we have been releasing a weekly video series called Digital Spotlight on the Library's YouTube channel and social media.
Each 3-minute-ish episode dives into one of MGPL’s many databases and online resources. As your intrepid narrator, I try to keep them brief, informative, and, when possible, peppered generously with dry humor.
One of the main goals is to show you neat and helpful tools you might not know about. We have a lot of databases, and they are not all are alike. Some are meant to be educational, while others are geared towards entertainment. Some serve one function, while others have many.
The videos look at the whole gamut of databases and try to have a bit of fun along the way. And the increased time at home most of us are experiencing makes this a great time to explore these resources.
Checking out this series is a great way to find out what your library card can do for you.
Where to start
I've done 12 videos thus far, spanning many of our databases, downloadables, and “e-stuff” generally. Try one that interests you and see what you can do with your library card:
- Changing Appearance Settings in Libby
- Know When to Buy with Consumer Reports
- Set Up Your Personal Newsstand in PressReader
- Jumpstart Your Genealogy Search in Ancestry with Family Trees
- Find Author Read-Alikes in NoveList
- Get A Customized Medigap Planner in Weiss Financial Ratings
- Find Sales Leads for Your Small Business in AtoZ Databases
- Get Crafty on the Quick with Creativebug's Daily Practice Series
- Conquer Black Friday Deals with Consumer Reports
- Giving Smarter with Charity Navigator
- Travel with your Tastebuds with AtoZ Food Databases
- Research with Powerful Multimedia Tools in World Book Advanced
Thanks for watching!
Mark Knox is an Adult Services Librarian at Morton Grove Public Library.